The 2013/2014 Haglofs Open 5 adventure racing series was brought to stunning climax up in the Lake District last week, with the final leg of the series taking place in and around Coniston on Sunday 6th April.
“A connoisseurs Open5 with weather to match” was how it was described by Team Mountain Hardwear’s Alex Pilkington. Experienced course planner Ant Cooper ensured that the event showcased the best of the Lakes in event organiser Open Adventure’s home location.
Rain and mist kicked in 24 hours before the race, and at start time Coniston was glistened with rain. Spirits were not dampened however and the event saw the longest entry list of the series with over 200 racers. The start and transition was at John Ruskin School, before racers headed out on foot to the slopes of the Old Man, and by bike onto Broughton Moor & Blawith Fells, clocking up a fair mileage and finding more than a little mud.
As ever the Lake District delivered challenging & varied terrain, from recently upgraded bike routes on the lakeshore providing fast returns to the finish, to craggy and slippery slate on the fellside. The checkpoints on offer took competitors past the old quarries on Walna Scar, and navigating their way to the summit and through the slopes of the Old Man. On this occasion they were not rewarded with views, but with the joy of conquering the elements.
It was a good day out for Team Mountain Hardwear, who were rewarded with a 1-2-3 in the male solos. It was also a good day to prove that age is no barrier, with veteran racers on three podiums, and a very creditable 6th place in the female pairs for Helena Burrows, in her second race, and Carol McNeill, in her first – both 60+. Perhaps daughter Heather Burrows (2nd in the female pairs, with Rosemary Byde), should watch out!
Series places were also finalised in this race, where there was reward for consistency. Established pair Rosemary Byde & Lucy Harris won the female pairs, although Rosemary featured four times in that category in different pairings. Interestingly the three podium places in this category went to the only pairs who had raced three races, so perhaps a category to target for next season for the ladies. There was a win for Heather Burrows in the female solos, returning from “maternity leave” and great consistency with perfect (300) scores for Rosemary & Lucy, Chris Hope & Chris Steele in the Male Pairs, and Ian Furlong & Renee Saxton in the Mixed Pairs.
A hint of sadness perhaps as the season closes, with a fantastic race…. Open Adventure and Haglöfs will be back in November with a new series, and in the meantime visit our website for details of other events.
- Sue Booth/Louise Hanley 415 points
- Heather Burrows/Rosemary Byde 405 points
- Lisa Whetter/Sue Woods 375 points
- Helena Burrows/Carol McNeill 335 points
- Outi Kamarainen 405 points
- Sharon McDonald Nav 4 Adventure 40+ 391 points
- Joanna Boyd 390 points
- Sally Ozanne Adidas 385 points
- Alistair Morris/Simon Enderby- For Goodness Shakes 505 points
- Jonathan Emberton/Joshua Hartland- Craggvelo 465 points
- Gavin Chatterton/John Houlihan- Clipped In Clapped Out 437 points
- Alex Pilkington- Team Mountain Hardwear 40+ 525 points 04:50:05
- Anthony Emmet- Team Mountain Hardwear 520 points 05:10:55
- Kim Collison- Team Mountain Hardwear 495 points 05:10:26
- Barbara Lonsdale/James Williams- For Goodness Shakes 485 points
- Ian Furlong/Renee Saxton 468 points
- Phil Scarf/Jackie Scarf- Calder Valley AR 415 points
- Rosemary Byde/Lucy Harris 300.00 points
- Lisa Whetter/Sue Woods 273.17 points
- Jo Anderson/Jemima Parker 225.63 points
- Heather Burrows 297.76 points
- Jenny Allen 288.15 points
- Sally Ozanne- Team Mountain Hardwear 281.48 points
- Chris Hope/Chris Steele Keswick Bikes / X Bionic 300.00 points
- Stephen Jobson/Jim Swanson SJS 261.64 points
- Graham Coull/Keith Wilkinson Team TriActive 250.58 points
- Anthony Emmet Team Mountain Hardwear 296.47 points
- Campbell Walsh 293.28 points
- Kim Collison- Team Mountain Hardwear 286.91 points
- Ian Furlong/Renee Saxton- Adidas TERREX 300.00 points
- James Williams/Barbara Lonsdale 287.84 points
- Ben Turner/Sabrina Verjee- Endurancelife 259.12 points
For more info on the Haglofs Open 5 Series and to find out how to get involved head to www.openadventure.com