New Welsh ultra distance races bring a tough new angle to trail racing this summer.
Trail running is all about getting out into the wild, getting off the beaten path and pushing yourself, exploring. Often that feeling can be lost, especially when entering certain races. Well, Fuego y Agua events are now attempting to inject a bit of wildness into their latest events (and their first in the UK). The team behind the legendary Caballo Blanco ultra race in the Copper Canyons of Mexico (of Born to Run fame) are coming to the UK.
The Celts aims to provide a tough and rugged course across some of the wildest bits of Wales. Although the course will be marked, there will be no maps and crucially, No aid stations. Runners will have to take water from streams and filter it themselves. Just like the early explorers had to- or so Fuego y Agua say.
- When: 5:00am Saturday, August 23, 2014
- Where: Kenfig Nature Reserve, Wales, United Kingdom
- What: Rugged Trail Races with 3 race options: 25k & 50k Trail Races, and a brutal 50k Survival Run
Celts Survival Run
On top of that, there is the ridiculous sounding Survival Run; a 50k obstacle course race taking. The terrain will be extremely rough, with some trail, sand dunes, hills and lots of bushwhacking. Tasks will include, carrying, climbing, throwing, digging, building, swimming and more savage verbs that have yet to be added to the dictionary.
Entry to the Survival run is by application only and all competitors are expected to have ultra distance racing experience prior to starting.
- When: 4:00am August 23, 2014
- Where: Kenfig Nature Preserve, Wales, United Kingdom
- What: Absolutely Brutal 50k Obstacle Course Race
- How: By Application Only
- Price: $275 before April 23rd
For more info head to fuegoyagua.org