This Helly Hansen tee will turn heads with its shocking green colour, but despite the lime, we were seriously impressed with its wicking qualities.
Helly Hansen knows a thing or two about base layers, and the Pace tee has some well thought out features for sweaty summer running. The mesh back, particularly, allow great air flow. So much so, the weight was rather a surprise!
Looking at the acres of mesh on the Pace, we were expecting the grammage to be a lot lower than 139 and concluded that the excessive flat locked seams are to blame. For all the airiness and breathability this shirt offers, it gains weight from the heft of the seams which flow endless down the back and sides. These seams may add some element of style but feel bunched and dig in on even cool runs, particularly lower down where a pack rubs.
That said, the jersey has a nice fit, and offers roomy arms and a snug body fit that is remarkably flattering despite the colour. However, the neck may be a little low for some chaps, who may find their girlfriends nicking the top instead. The zip guard is a nice touch on this top, but makes zipping up a little fiddly on the move.
↑ The Good:
- Great breathability thanks to the mesh front and back
- Good deep zip for air flow
- Nice bright colour and reflective trim
↓ The not-so-good:
- Seams are excessive and dig in
- Heavier than expected
For £40, you’d hope for a lighter weight shirt than the Pace offers. If you’re running without a pack however, the good fit and bright colour is likely to appeal, particularly in the depths of summer.
What Helly Hansen says about the Pace: Probably the best men´s training shirt on the market. With a combination of lightweight HH®Cool fabric combining the world-renowned Lifa® fibres and mesh fabrics, this short-sleeve t-shirt is perfect for high intensity activities indoors or outside on summer days.
Brand: Helly Hansen
Model: ‘Pace’ 1/2 zip SS 2
Used for: Mountain running in the heat
UK Supplier: www.hellyhansen.com
- HH Cool Fabric Technology - Provides ventilation, airflow and increased breathability during warmer weather conditions.
- Lifa Technology - Wicks away moisture to help keep you dry and comfortable.
- Lightweight Open Synthetic Mesh - Provides great breathability, allowing you to remain cool and comfortable whilst you exercise.
- Seamless Construction in Armpits - Smooth seaming increases garment comfort inside and out, leaving you with a more streamlined feel and improved fit.
- Chest Zip with Autolock - Allows for ventilation, and easy removal and wearing of the jacket. The zip also has an autolock feature, ensuring that the zip does not open whilst training.
- 360° Reflective Taping in All Seams - Ensures visibility in low light conditions.
Fabric: Polyester – Polypropylene mix
Sizes Available: small, medium, large, xl, 2xl
Colours: lime, cobalt blue, purple, grey-black